Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Archvillains

Remember SuperFishie and the Amazing Curriculum?

Remember SuperFishie Thwarted?

The latest installment in the Adventures of SuperFish :

I wrote eleven scripts. Roughly nine pages each. The first was performed last weekend. They had hacked it up quite a bit and cobbled in some other things, but the essence was still very much there. They even managed to rehearse, something they NEVER do. The timing on everything WE could control was excellent. A few hiccups here and there, but overall a pretty good job.

But now I sort of understand how a screenwriter feels when he gives his product to a producer and director; it's out of my hands. My work product is now subject to being mutilated by someone who hasn't quite got the vision. That's okay, in a way, because people never see the same thing in a script. I get that.

But they nixed video segments, which the Kahuna has been griping at us for NOT having, because apparently the video people don't care to work with us, or something. Uncooperative, is all I was told. A shame. To replace video Bible Story segments, they asked a person to just pretend to be the reporter and tell the story, a singularly un-reporter-like thing to do. It didn't come off theatrically. However, I can't even say that with all confidence, because the children, when they got to the "TEST" part of the script, were able to answer some of the questions correctly.

They also hacked out the Object Lesson, another thing the Kahuna has been nagging about.

And somehow, there is no "Hero Homework" take-home cards, not even the plain cardstock with plain print to go home with the kids. I worked my butt off on that.

Additionally, the scripts that were supposed to be written by the new chick? She never did them. She put it off and put it off for a month, so I volunteered to do them, and churned out four scripts in two days. Did anything happen to said lazy-ass coworker? Two guesses.

There were three scripts to finish the whole curriculum. I was ready to start on them yesterday. Instead, here's basically what I got in my e-mail from the director: Thanks for all your hard work. Stop writing scripts; I'm going to do them myself and get them all done by tomorrow. If you have anything else you've written send it to me and I'll see if I can use it.

Huh?

Not only did they rip my stuff up, but apparently after I'd written eleven scripts, she wants to do the last three? She who hasn't even got her SET finished? She who hasn't figured out how to do major segments of the performance, so she dropped them? She who can't get the sound people to record the scripts properly, who can't be bothered to answer questions, who can't give a straight answer?

Fish has been dismissed.

And the worst thing is that I'll be in the new theatre to see the hack job in all its glory EVERY WEEK, because I am now scheduled to be the door person for this event every Sunday.

I've found my kryptonite.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

FishLovely, when I first read about your super hero curriculum I actually called my mom and told her about it. Then we both started talking about bible characters and possible superpowers for them, and we don't even attend church!

Don't let the bastards get you down, it's a good curriculum, and if you sent the synopsis to Big Idea Studios I can totally see a whole series of Fish inspired VeggieTales. Wouldn't THAT steam the Big Kahuna's broccoli!

All I know is if the project you envisioned can get 2 adult heathens excited about the bible, then you are wasting your talents on a commitee that doesn't deserve you.

Another idea...why not do the stories up yourself and publish them online? Kind of like webcomic artists do. You could include a link to make donations which you could use to support your church, expand into some merchandise, etc.

If you'd like I could even hook you up with an excellent web designer to get some ideas flowing. And on an unrelated note, I must give a shout out to Sarah, that sexy little Grobanite!

3:37 PM  
Blogger Fishie said...

Oh, man, y'all I needed the support. Thanks so much. Did you know Fish can cry? Y'all made Fish cry.

I should have known not to get my hopes up. The last time I threw out an idea I wanted to work on, nothing happened with that. TTAZ, you and your mom might appreciate this: In the book of Timothy, Paul is writing to Timothy and giving him instructions. See, Timothy was a sort of Lieutenant to Paul's General. Timothy was also very young for the solo-ministering he was asked to do.

Paul makes reference in Timothy that his mom and grandma had taught him everything he (Timothy) everything he knew about loving and serving God, raising him from a young age with the values he maintained into adulthood.

So I though, what if we show Young Tim at home with mom and grandma, looking at what he would learn, and how they'd gently teach him. And what if we made Tim 6 years old? And what if it was set in the present? Woldn't the kids relate well, and we could touch on all the values like sharing, patience, giving, kindness, etc?

That went over like a lead balloon. I'm still not sure why. I was ready to turn it into a children's book series, if I could find the time to get it done. I still may.

Then the song I wrote for the summer curriculum never made it into the recording studio. Haven't a clue why not; it was good.

I'm really proud of this stuff. If anyone is really interested in sampling it, e-mail me, and I'll send a script your way. I'm serious. Maybe I can get a site set up just to do custom writing for churches - how 'bout that?

Love y'all!

5:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, Fish, if you want to get this project off the ground, I will help you in any way I can. I know how to use some different graphics programs, and I do have a slight amount of art talent, I'll help illustrate for your writing. Again, I will hook you up with my webdesigning friend if you like. Since starting in my new position as an apartment manager a year ago I have met all kinds of useful characters whom I can compel some input and help from. Drop me a line and let me know what I can do to help. tucsontayloraz@yahoo.com

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish, how's it going? Please update your blog soon! :)

4:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home