Monday, August 21, 2006

We Arrive on the Base

Driving up Wednesday, the Bigun called and relayed the news that she was flying home the day of graduation. This, after we all made plans to stay an extra day, just in case. So we would be kissing her goodbye and staying another night in the No Tell Motel. I made a few quick calls and realized there was a lovely Hilton right next to the airport in Atlanta, and they had rooms, rooms without wet floors. Rooms with irons that worked. Rooms with lights! I booked them for Friday night, on the hope we could all drive back to Atlanta a day early after the Bigun flew home.

This, people, is what is known as unintended brilliance.

The next morning the entire news media was awash in stories of the thwarted terrorist plot in London. Immediately parents begin panicking, sure that we will wait twelve hours in security lines. They praise Fish for having the foresight to book these rooms.

I only did it to save getting up early and because their room was crap, but okay, Fish will take that!

Thursday morning I was up with the early birds and after a quick (Waffle House) breakfast, we drove to the base to meet the Bigun. After an "orientation meeting" we met her in her cammo and my heart was overcome. I picked her up, even. She is much taller than I, but I did it.

My father was the weepy one. Awwwww, Pop had to keep walking off and getting the handkerchief out. We heard all about her best bud and met her family. We spent the day getting lost on base and hearing the stories they had to tell. Then came dinner at the officer's club, where some doofus dropped a cake onto my purse in the next chair and kept right on walking. I didn't notice until after I ate. But my sister saw it and didn't tell me. My family is certifiable. Then we went bowling and said goodbye until the morning.

We were obscenely early to graduation having checked out while it was still dark. But already crowds had gathered, so we weren't as early as we hoped. The ceremony was inspiring, the words spoken were uplifting, but all we could do was pass the binoculars back and forth as her company marched out. The Bigun and her bud had drawn us "maps" to know where to look for them, and sure enough we found them, the Bigun with her Serious Face on. I did really well until they recited the Soldier's Creed. THAT, of all things, got me.

The rest of the day was ours after signing the Bigun out, and we went to Applebee's for their first taste of off-base food in months. Gorging does not describe it. We must have been there two hours, just letting them enjoy the sensation of food not purchased in bulk by the Armed Forces Department of Acquisition of Barely Edible Food Products.

Then the Columbia Airport to say goodbye. It's a beautiful terminal, what I saw of it. But all I could think of was that the Bigun would be home alone for a day before we even got to her. There were directions to be given, keys to be passed on, money to be pressed on her, and instructions to call upon landing. Then she was gone. Our reunion ended abruptly, and we had ahead of us another 4 hour drive to Atlanta, with a Hilton waiting at the other end, and Lord only knew what airport chaos to face in the morning.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

:*)

7:07 AM  
Blogger Pez said...

*I* am so proud of Bigun!

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home