Friday, March 17, 2006

When I Grow Up

I was thinking the other day about all the professions I flirted with at one time or another. I've ended up in a great place, to be sure, but I really had some detours along the way.

When I was three, I was in the little program at church; a church so small "choir" wasn't even the word for it. Somehow in the middle of the song, I had toddled up to the microphone and grabbed the stand. There's a great picture of me hamming it up. So my first ambition was to be a singer.

I remember wanting to act fairly early as well. I used to delay bedtime by kissing Mom and Dad goodnight, lingering on them and smooshing my lips into their cheeks, calling it a "Hollywood kiss." We still call it that in my family. I always worked to get the lead in the school productions, but that rarely happened. I remember in fourth grade, each of the two classes did a performance of Peter and the Wolf. I made a much better and more convincing cat than Courtney did. See, competitive even at nine! And I can still, twenty-some-odd years later, recite the opening of the poem about Paul Revere's ride, especially since the Bigun was born on that day.

I toyed with being a teacher, for all of a day or so. In my college, if you went into the Education Building, you had better be looking for a bathroom. NOBODY with any real brains went through that program. I'm not saying education is a last-ditch program to keep stupid people in college; it's just at my college, it was. So instead I thought about writing. I'd been writing little stories and poems since elementary school, and making up little plays and things with the neighbor kids as long as I could remember. Unfortunately, there are a lot of writers out there writing a lot of things, and as I came up with ideas, they fled just as quickly. No, the Great American Novel would have to be crafted by someone else. I can't even get serious about NaNoWriMo.

After I did get an accounting degree (What? You're shocked at that?) I worked at that for a while. I was never any good at it, but I was learning a lot more on the job than I ever learned in college. My Tax Accounting professor took me aside one day and tried to convince me I had mad skillz in the field, and should apply to work for the IRS. Um, after Daddy's Big Audit I'd witnessed growing up, no thanks. Although looking back, I probably should have done it. I have more compassion than your average IRS agent. You would want me to audit your books. I am a softie.

I thought about going back to school to be a lawyer. I could be a tax accountant and make a bajillion dollars a year. Except I'm still no good at accountancy, and though I loved my law classes and made As in them, I just don't think I'd make any kind of lawyer. I may sit for the LSAT one day, just to see if I could. I'm weird like that.

I also frequently toy with ideas for businesses. I worked on ideas for

a contractor referral business for small jobs,
a personal assistant/concierge business,
writing a book on teaching kids from the Bible,
a party puppet palace,
a resale shop,
an online craft mall,

and my current "business" of party puppetry that goes to the party.

No wonder I'm so unfocused. There's still so much to do before I grow up.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

At Idaho State, ed majors were seen as getting their "Mrs. Degree." I think that's a lot of the reason why I reacted strongly against homeschooling when I first heard about it--I worked darn hard in those classes, and it wasn't as easy as common opinion held.

Early career choices for me included archaeologist, and the ubiquitous veterinarian, and later, photographer (I'd still like to figure out a way to get paid for that one!)

9:34 AM  
Blogger Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

HA! When I was in kindergarten, I wanted to be a nun. I think I meant that I wanted to be a teacher, but I went to a Catholic school and my teacher was a nun, so I said nun. My parents were quite amused.

1:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

My face still turns red remembering the "Grease" skits my brother and I forced our mom and step dad to sit through!

I'm getting awfully close to 40 and still wondering when I'll feel like a grown up.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home