Tuesday, November 21, 2006

FLYing again

It's time to get back on the FLYLady bandwagon.

I've NEVER been an entertain-in-the-home kind of gal, mostly because we're still sporting borrowed furniture. OLD borrowed furniture that I couldn't ask anyone to actually sit on. Yes, we do plan to replace it, but currently braces, root canals, impending car purchases, air conditioner replacement, trips to boot camp graduation and life have kept us from shopping. I'm okay with that; I'd rather not finance the furniture anyway.

I've had people over the last few weeks taking them through Coupon Class, and it feels neat. Mostly I just cleared things out of the den and kitchen, added a folding table to store coupon/shopping things on, and cleaned the floors. Not so hard. Except that I feel as though I can still make the house look better. If I had a schedule for doing things, I might get more done. I know I work well off of lists, and I love that feeling when you cross off a job. It represents progress and accomplishment, which for a stay-at-home-mom can be fleeting. (I mean, do I really want the high point of my day to be my husband emerging from the bathroom exclaiming how clean the bowl is?)

I toyed around with FLYLady last year, and had a good start. Some of the principles I still adhere to in my lazy way, but I know I can do better. So this week I am kicking it off by making the following vows:

* I will tackle one old mess a day. A messy drawer, a paper pile on my bedside table, my closet floor; I will work on at least one a day.

* I will keep the dishes and laundry done. This means putting the dishes in the cabinets, not leaving them on the drying rack. It also means putting the clothes on hangers and folding towels.

* I will keep the kitchen counter clear.

* I will not go to bed until the den and kitchen are picked up.

* I will plan dinner for every night of the week, and use up what I have in the freezer. This includes not putting off asking the neighbor to smoke my two turkeys until February.

* I will keep a grocery list on the fridge and make people write down what they need.

Hopefully I can keep to all this. It doesn't seem to be too tough; it looks like a doable place to start. This list gets printed and posted on the bathroom mirror and the fridge now, and then we'll see.

But I must report, the bowl IS very clean.

4 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

I, too, am a big fan of lists, and that is an admirable one! Unfortunately, my lists have a tendency to grow into a list of every possible thing I could and should do, instead of just the things that are reasonable to do.

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait, you're going to USE UP everything in your freezer? Riiight. I know you're a GGer, and as a fellow one, I am pretty sure your freezer is stocked to the gills.

IOW, what time should I bring the family over for dinner? I *know* there's going to be enough food. ;)

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you get caught up at your place, you can come time mine! I still have a couple of boxes to put away. Maybe by now I should just throw the contents away huh?

10:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when Thunder was such a big fan of the FLYlady lists. I didn't need it then, but I've signed up and been shining my sink every night. It feels great and I'm glad you mentioned this! :o)

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home