Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Home again, home again

What a wonderful thing to pull into our driveway yesterday.

We had a good time with all the relatives. I have to admit that few of the things I was dreading happened. I guess the visit was too short and the people too busy. I did one pretty horrible thing; give a "movie theme" basket with popcorn popper and popcorn (plus movie), to my SIL who has false teeth. I just totally blanked about her teeth, really. But I'll make it up to her. Until I do, though, I'll feel pretty bad. Let's hope for big post-Christmas clearances!

Speaking of that, Amy, Trace, Kimmer, Katie, anyone else I'm missing; we ARE going to start planning now, aren't we? For next Christmas? I mean, I know we are all Christmassed out, but we can make one more dynamic push and knock out half of next year!

Today's assignment: make a list of what people you may have to buy for next year. Then jot down what they received this year. It may help jog your memory next fall. Or it will give you a direction to go in. Get ten names down on paper and some things they received or spoke about wanting. We can do that much!

I made toffee and peppermint bark oreos and Ritz pb sandwiches in chocolate, and filled tins for everyone. My family weren't too excited, but my in-laws were passing the tin around the minute I gave it to them. Definitely going to do that again. And I made JJ's 100-year-old grandma Oreo truffles, which were also a huge hit. Definitely going to do that again too. Those hummers disappeared quickly. To keep the kids from running off with all of them, I had to dip marshmallows in chocolate too.

I had a great time chatting with JJ's dad, Big J. We rarely get to do that. Big J and my MIL have been to stay with Grammy way up on the OK border until, I guess, she passes. Which won't be soon; Grammy is in wonderful condition, thank the Lord, and will be with us some time yet. So Big J and I got caught up on politics and the family. He can talk politics all day. He calls Nancy Pelosi "That Palosky." It's just so cute sometimes. I think he was lonely for the family, because JJ and the Little Critter both spent some time hanging out in back with Big J. The LC even read an entire book to Big J, which one of her cousins illustrated.

But back to being home...

We had to unload the van and smuggle the LC's new tv out of hiding before she went in, which was a feat. And we discovered that if the LC was going to have cable, her room and closet would have to be completely rearranged. That only took two hours; two hours I'll never get back. But it does look bigger and neater in there. The test? A slumber party tonight with two of the least-inclined-to-pick-up-after-themselves children she knows. Lord knows what it will look like in the morning.

We rewarded ourselves with our dilligence and stamina by escaping to Waffle House for dinner and then starting Season 5 of 24. Twenty days to watch 24 episodes. Can we do it?

I'm on a roll after the LC's room. I have to keep it up while I have momentum. Zoom!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, there!

Well, I see you remembered my post about Holiday Season Support Group. I will go post a post now. I am still tired, but I will post something. And, I am glad to hear your treats were a hit!

6:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, a challenge! Me likey.

Will get right on that ... tomorrow. In between de-holiday-fying the house and de-dirtying sixteen tons of laundry. Okay, maybe I'll shoot for Thursday. But this I avow: It *will* be done.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I have lots of clutter you are more than welcome to relieve me of if you run out of things to do while on your cleaning kick.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home