Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Arresting

Well, productions done! Pretty well done I might add. The boss even got an e-mail from one of my student's mother, who praised the program with improving his diction! That's pretty neat about him, because his school counselor wanted him in speech therapy and we recommended against it earlier in the year. And five bouquets later, my house smells like a rose garden.

So on to yesterday, which I spent at the Police concert. In spite of having seen Sting several times in my life, I had never seen the Police in concert. This was their last Texas go-round ever, so I was happy not to miss it.

It was great fun, and they played a lot of the really really old stuff that most people skip over in favor of their later work. But there on stage they performed:

Next To You
So Lonely
Hole in my Life
Can't Stand Losing You
Bring on the Night
Walking on the Moon
Darkness
Secret Journey
Driven to Tears
When the World is Running Down, You Make the Best of What's Still Around
Invisible Sun

Along with the standards everyone expected:

Roxanne
Message in a Bottle
Don't Stand So Close to Me
De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da
Spirits in the Material World
Every Little Thing She Does is Magic
Demolition Man
Every Breath You Take
King Of Pain
Wrapped Around Your Finger

That's a pretty huge set, and of course all my favorites are the obscure ones. I don't think there's anyone else I could go see and know every lyric to every song. No, you don't want me sitting by you at a Police concert.

The audience was interesting too. Gray-haired folks and preteens and everything inbetween. Grannies in Police Synchronicity-style shirts; too cute.

And the sound those three can put out is pretty neat. Something sounded off about the bass, but everything else was incredible. The funniest thing is that Sting sported a graying beard. It was disconcerting; kind of cognitive dissonance. I know he's older, but by gum, Sting shouldn't be graying!

2 Comments:

Blogger Pez said...

I saw The Police in concert in '83 and '84 and they were awesome back then. I am glad that you had great fun and enjoyed the concert.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Kimmer said...

I saw Sting in concert in '93 and then again a few years later, but never The Police--color me jealous!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home