Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Madame Secretary

Well, the local convention was a smash hit among members of my precinct. Out of 13 that I had signed up to come, ten came - amazing numbers. Perhaps there IS a resurgence of political activism in my little neighborhood after all. We were the 4th largest delegation. Yeah, baby.

We only had four slots allotted our precinct to take to state as delegates and alternates. My seat was coming from another pool, so there were 9 people vying for the seats. We filled the 4, and then a fifth person was chosen to go from the at-large pool of spots, and then a sixth person decided to go as a guest or a sargeant-at-arms, so out of ten, six for sure, and maybe seven will go (one is a spouse of a delegate.)

On top of all the state business, we managed to get out in record time, thanks in part to one of my delegates. I took him aside early in the day and prompted him to ask a question clarifying the rules. I wouldn't have had to do this, except the body elected not to have the rules read, and then promptly started breaking the rules they refused to read. Still, we were done with all business at least an hour earlier than any previous convention adjournment, and people left happy and excited about going to state convention.

I had to struggle a little with the chair over how speakers were handled, just because, as secretary, I had to try to keep up with the changes the body was making. Some eager members were so excited over their points to be made that they made speeches before motions, and it kept throwing me off. Then this phenomenon, known previously only on CSPAN, reared its ugly head: 'Will you yield the balance of your time?"

Once again, if one had READ the rules, one would know that the speaker limitations are specific to the NUMBER of speakers as well as the time each may speak. I'm getting the hang of this thing, but I think we need to do a better job of educating the body on rules. If they'll let themselves be educated!

I'm still in recovery, as I was up at 4:30 to get the business started. Note to self: don't volunteer anymore for the Arrangements Committee.

After I am really rested up, I'll go into the science program I'm neck-deep in as well as those pesky parents from drama class. Until then, I'm taking every available opportunity to be a lazy bum.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pez said...

I love that you are so involved in politics, Madame Secretary! :)

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home