Monday, March 24, 2008

Breaking

What a break we had...

In all of Spring Break I accomplished very little. I didn't get in my nap quota, the carpets weren't cleaned, the bonus didn't go as far as we expected and curtailed some plans, and we didn't even make it to church.

Since I've last posted, however, much stuff has happened.

I took the Parliamentarian Exam and got 100. It's the first time since college I had to study for any kind of test, and I nailed it. Know what's next? The Registered Parliamentarian Exam. What DID I start? Apparently people PAY these people to be parliamentarians. Wow, who knew?

The PTA crap I'm in I won't go into, except to say that people who don't know what the term "in confidence" means really suck. I hope they get burned by that same fire.

District convention is Saturday and I have a bit to do to get ready for it. Specifically, ironing. Ick. However, they expect nice arrangements on Saturday and I expect to deliver. Good thing plastic flowers last forever. Yes, I am that tacky. No, I don't mind you knowing that.

I also have to shepherd around some of the people from my own precinct who are going to be there. After the Texas Two Step primary nightmare on the Democrat side, we Republicans had to huddle in the community center kitchen and hold our convention there. Fifteen showed up, which is incredible since the most we ever have is 4.

Side note - about 250 democrats showed up in the caucus mess - starting at 6 p.m. before the polls were even closed. That was fun. My Democrat counterparts were prepared, but not for those numbers. I got my husband to get the tennis court key and my headset mic with amplifier in case they needed it. Considering the fire code, they probably SHOULD have used both, though they were somehow spared having to.

I'm tossing around starting a local political blog with another precinct chair. There's not enough exposure to candidates low on the ballot, so we rarely get to meet them and find out if they're crazy or divas or such. So we're constructing a concept that would basically give us press-level access to candidates and struggle to deal with issues 95% of people don't care about. Hi brick wall, meet my head. Still, it's fascinating to try. When you're already the go-to-gal for a small group of people over political issues, it isn't a stretch to expand a little.

Seven weeks of rehearsals until all my classes end. I'll miss them, but jeepers, some people. I have several classes where the parents think they can switch back and forth, rehearsing with one group one day, another the following week. Cohesiveness, people! No wonder half of them don't know their lines. Soon scripts will go out and then no more excuses. I love when parents interfere, too. Remind me to tell you about THAT sometime.

The craziest news on my list - a candidate for local office asked me to be his campaign treasurer. So far that's entailed nothing on my part, but it's coming. I had to ask PTA advice about whether I could do both. Apparently I can, carefully. Watch me walk that tightrope! Wheeeee! I wasn't going to do it, but after talking with him, and hearing the plan, I couldn't say no. It's been four years since I worked on a campaign, and I'm sure I can help.

But really, I can't wait until summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

It all sounds amazing (the politics, and congrats on your test!), but I must confess that I'm most eager to hear about those interfering parents!

7:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home