Thursday, January 26, 2006

Everything Counts in LARGE Amounts

OK, I may be the Mad Couponer, but seriously, people, can I catch a BREAK?

The Bigun is going to D.C. for a conference. This is a great experience we wanted her to get to have when we learned she was invited. She missed the 8th grade trip to D.C. due to 9/11, and so when this came up we were determined to make it happen...

For $1400! Oh, and that doesn't include airfare, $300. Or shuttle fare, $40. Or LUNCH. For Pete's sake, can they not spring for an $8 LUNCH after I shelled out a couple GRAND?

And did I mention that the child needs actual CLOTHES to go to the capital? They have days for "professional dress" and I had to sweetly explain that no, Darling, that does not mean a CLEAN hoodie. The Department of Defense is not likely to let you in the door, Dear, no matter how lovely you smile at them, in swishy pants and Skechers. I have a couple of weeks to go bargain-basement, winter-clothes-clearance shopping with her, and I tell you, I'd rather go to our OLD dentist and have teeth pulled than shop with the darling.

See, today, the Bigun also had a dental visit - we changed dentists because the old one was a quack and cost us A LOT to fix his mucking about in her mouth. So we start over with cute little Dr. Ho (I am not making this up) and the verdict is $300 for crowns and fillings. To fix, I reiterate, what the doofus dentist did.

And did you know? I cut back my hours at work to the bare minimum because I couldn't stand being there more than I had to. I can't quit quite yet, since I'm committed to a few things there between now and summer, but I'm making chump change. And DH? Just got told he has to take a week's vacation and also a week's furlough. They'll cover the furlough week with an advance bonus or something, so we won't hurt for cash, but there won't be a lot extra.

Where am I going to get the cash to DO this stuff?

Well, if you see someone dashing through the grocery store at top speed, clutching a binder full of coupons in one hand and a wad of cash in the other, stop me, call my husband, and send me home. Remind me that I could stand to fast a few weeks until I am caught up. Or until I'm really skinny and hot. Oooh, wait; that'll take a while. So just put a SlimFast in my hand and call for backup.

6 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

Oh, I hate that slightly panicky "how are we supposed to pay for THIS?" feeling. Dang, that's a lot of money. :(

7:40 AM  
Blogger Fishie said...

Most Supreme Evil One (I hit the I and for a second there that was MOIST supreme! Snicker) - DH is a programmer with a freight company - he basically writes the programs that, say, Dell would use to keep track of their warehouses and shipping.

He did say we can start Jack-ing tonight on season 2 - so we're making progress! As for his furlough, he'd probably want to spend it in bed. Or on the computer. ;)

9:57 AM  
Blogger Pez said...

Miss Fish, glad your dh's work will cover the furlough.

Best wishes finding great deals for the Bigun. I am confident if anyone can find a deal on it, you can!

3:45 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

ew, I hate shopping with the teenagers! Girlie has to have flare pants. No matter how cute non flares might be. And Zach - let's just not go there!

Congrats on finding a better dentist. That makes actually going to the dentist so much better.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

Goodwill is GREAT for dress clothes. You might also see if there are any consignment shops in your area. I almost never buy new clothes. You will likely have to go more than once, but you should be able to find a pair of basic black slacks or skirt, a decent button down shirt, etc for next to nothing. If the teen refuses to shop secondhand, you could offer to pay what you would pay at Goodwill (or Target, or whatever you are willing to pay) and have the kidlet make up the rest. My parents did that- those 80 dollar jeans look a lot less exciting when I have to pay 65 dollars for them out of my own pocket!

5:52 PM  
Blogger Fishie said...

Oooh, I didn't think of Goodwill! The Bigun and I have been there for costumes and such, and I've shopped there for me (there are a LOT of them here.) I did tell her whatever she gets she can burn when she gets back, but she has to wear it. I think that it would make me wince less if it were from Goodwill!

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home