Thursday, February 01, 2007

Lost in Translation

Literally.

I have my fingers in everyone's pie at school.

School store, I'm on it.
Box Tops, I'm there.
Homeroom mom, check.

This is nice a lot of the time. People know me, because I'm always around. People ask me questions and advice, because I seem to know what's going on. Executive board members ask me to join them at convention in San Antonio (!!) when another one has to bow out.

But here's where I get stuck: we're now a bilingual campus (not that there's anything wrong with that). This means that every letter home must be in English and Spanish. So far, so good. Theoretically, we'd put together an English flier, send it to be translated and approved, and it would come back in plenty of time to go home before events.

Not happenin'.

The president gets the info and gets it translated, then turns it into the administration to review. And it gets LOST. Perpetually. Just Tuesday I went to the office to ask about several documents I had turned in that I will need reasonably soon. Oh, no, they say. Your stuff is not here. We haven't seen it.

Humph.

One item was a new order form for all the spirit items we're selling; keychains, water bottles, gel pens, etc. The old order form had deadline dates for November, but I needed a new form that said that all the items were in now, and that people could still order. Nope, nobody in the office had it.

So Wednesday I check the in-boxes of all the "pies" I'm messing in. Lo and behold, there's a TRANSLATED order form in the in-box. A translated form with the OLD information on it, and a December date. HUH? Now everyone in the office denies putting it there. Lovely. I supposed it translated itself and walked into the box.

I had to leave the campus to keep from biting heads off.

I don't mind getting my things in weeks and weeks ahead. I don't mind getting everything in the queue early so that there's allowance for all the craziness that inevitably goes on at a public school campus. But when they freaking lose things and then lie to me when they magically reappear?

I'm livid.

They had better hope I don't run for president in two years.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Fish for President! I would totally vote for you! :o)

On the couponing front, I thought I'd let you know that I checked around this weekend for double coupon days or specials. I found none. Scolari's is the only store that does support double coupons but the nearest one is 30 minutes away from me. Would it be worth it to drive that far for a double coupon savings?

5:52 PM  
Blogger Fishie said...

Oh, hon, that is a loaded question.

At my doubles stores, I frequently get free stuff, which I either use or pass on to the paper guy in exchange for tons of coupon inserts. However, I have 6 stores from 2 chains within a mile radius of me.

If you learn to plan it out really well, you might find it worth an occasional trip.

Is that store a double up to 50¢ triple up to 39¢ store? If so, look for 10 items for $10 sales. That equals free stuff if they don't make you buy all 10 to get the deal. And don't be shy about calling and asking their policies.

YOu can do a grocery game trial for 4 weeks for $1; it's worth that at least to find out! You can give your zip code or the one where the store is to see if it is on the list!

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you see, these last few months Rachael Ray has been teaching me all about something called "cooking," which I thought existed only in fairy tales. Turns out it's real, and so naturally I find myself also learning about grocery shopping. I'm willing to give the grocery game a try, but it'll be next month after I'm a little less overwhelmed at work. Thanks! :o)

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home