Friday, November 30, 2007

Huge Debate (Or JJ and I have no life)




I was watching a commercial for Gears of War (I guess) and it juxtaposed images of warfare with a soft version of Mad World by Gary Jules. That has been rattling around in my head, but I didn't know the artist until today. The reason it made such a huge impression on me is the original by Tears for Fears. It was a track on their first album, and I've owned it almost since it came out.


I raised the Bigun on Tears for Fears, Crowded House and all those '80s standards. She still remembers a lot of them. However, she had no clue about Mad World when I asked her about it. She and all her friends assumed that it was new.


JJ, who loves music, looked up a song for me tonight from the CSI Vegas credits. Turns out that was originally Kate Bush's Running Up That Hill. Then he searched out Faster Pussycat's You're So Vain.


All that to make a point; everything old is new again.


That started JJ on a quest to find all maner of songs that had been remade so we could listen to them and judge whether they were sufficiently the same or sufficiently different to be interesting. Let me tell you how glad I am that he did this, because I am a doof who committed myself to making over 12 dozen Oreo Balls tonight and it took a lot out of me. I was so tired after work that I was ready to collapse on the couch, but he kept me awake until I could finish.


God bless that man. I keep telling him that we'll never run out of things to talk about. It's true, too. We're still debating the paradox in Terminator. Regularly.


See? No life. But that's okay. "No life" with him is better than life with anyone else.


Dang, I'm so tired the word "life" doesn't look right anymore.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pookie and I are constantly debating. Doesn't leave us much time for arguing.

It seems to work for us, too.

(By the way, this is Contrary. Your options changed on signing in to comment. Apparently now it's either post under a Blogger name, which I no longer have, or comment anonymously. Maybe there's a glitch?)

10:48 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Have you heard the new version of Time After Time? I just looked it up and Matchbox 20 sings it. Definitely like Cyndi Lauper's version better.

4:08 PM  
Blogger The Vichy said...

Oreo Balls? Recipe, please!

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home