Wednesday, March 29, 2006

I am Panther, Hear Me Roar

Over the weekend I got an e-mail from the school secretary asking me to be available Monday morning for the principal, as she needed some information on the carnival for making announcements. OK, I responded; I'll be there. Shoot, I'm already there anyway most mornings now.

So I'm there, and other moms and I are gathered around the large TV in the front of the school where we can watch them do their little morning announcement broadcast. I'm waiting for all that to finish so the principal will come out, and we're watching the cute little kids who are so shy. Apparently it's Panther of the Month day, where they honor a kid from each grade who is exceptional. The kids are all lined up and their parents are in the media room watching and clapping. One little boy is so shy he can hardly speak.

One of the moms in the front says: "Oh, that would so be me. When I was a kid my face would turn red and I'd be looking for a place to hide."

"Oh, not me!" I respond. "If that were me as a kid, I'd have the principal's microphone and I'd be working the room."

And it's true - I was a ham. I was such a ham it's a wonder my nickname is fish-related and not pig-related. Never mind that the connotations of that could be cruel if expressed; I'd answer to Pork Chop. Wouldn't you?

So back to the story... more waiting as they get to fourth and fifth grade, and then parent volunteer of the month, and there is the principal calling my name! For all my hard work on the carnival and for being so optimistic and organized.

Wow. Just wow.

And then she makes me stand near her to congratulate me, then says: "Would YOU like to make the announcement about carnival?" AND HANDS ME THE MICROPHONE.

Which makes the entire front office and all the moms roar with laughter, because me? Ham? Remember? Not two minutes ago I'm owning up to intention to steal the principal's mic and work the room, and I'm holding the mic and working the room, the camera, the entire school. Kids came up to me this week I've never seen saying "I saw you on the TV!" and Christine, the perpetually-disobedient classmate of the Little Critter's saw me, hugged me, and shouted her congratulations at lunch.

Which is a sweet thing. Better even than a pretty Panther Plaque with my name all scripted on it. And the reputation for hogging the spotlight.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show off! Heh.

Congratulations, Ms. Pig-, er, Ms. Fish.

Evil One

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Show off! Heh.

Congratulations, Ms. Pig-, er, Ms. Fish.

Evil One

9:02 AM  
Blogger Kimmer said...

Congratulations!

Yeah, I'd answer to Pork Chop, but first, I'd think, "where?"

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are definitely a ham. But I luv ya anyway. (from Trace, btw)

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home