Thursday, March 15, 2007

A Cheap Thrill

I am so crazy.

Because carnival is having a karaoke booth and I don't know how to work a karaoke machine, I rented one today and called some friends to bring their kiddos over. Ohmigosh, it was a fabulous time. We had nine kids and five women and JJ and everyone had a ball.

The kids each got to sing at least twice, and I even did a pitiful rendition of "Heard It Through the Grapevine." Let me tell you, I did much better after everyone left with "Crazy Little Thing Called Love." That's my new song.

It cost all of $50 and we did potluck food, so I spent a couple of dollars on meatballs (that I made) and a couple more on fruit and dip and chicken nuggets. The party handled itself and everyone wants to do it again, like next week or something! With adult beverages. And a cover charge to help with the cost of the machine. Oh, boy, what did I start?

The only sad part was that Austin was a terror, jumping, hitting, pushing, until I had to take him aside and tell him forcefuly to calm down. Then Joy took him outside for a talk and then took him home. I know it was hard, but he has to learn how to control himself. He can act like a maniac in his own house, not mine. Poor thing. All that energy and anger and nothing to do with it.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kimmer said...

That sounds like a great time!

It's too bad Austin wasn't able to control his energy, but I'm glad you didn't just let it slide. That's unacceptable behavior.

6:47 AM  
Blogger Traveller said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun at the Fish house!

Does Austin talk about his dad?

7:51 AM  
Blogger Fishie said...

It's hard watching Austin process this, harder for Joy. He was always a little hyper and under-sensitive to other kids and their limits, but now it's on steroids.

He doesn't talk much about Tim. But he does stick by Joy's side forecfully, usually. Some idiots were talking to her about dating again already! That put him into a panic for a bit, until she told him "Austin, I always had such bad luck at picking men until I met your dad, that if there's a next time, I'm gonna have you help me pick."

He's in after-school care every day because she works, and they do Tae Kwon Do a couple of days a week. We're hoping the master can help him with his self-control. He's so eager to play-fight, but he's rough, and larger than a lot of kids two grades older. I just had to tell him there are little kindergarteners in the house and he wasn't going to hurt them.

It breaks my heart anew whenever I see him struggle like this. He missed all the singing which I bet he would have loved.

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw.

Well, please advise Joy that reassuring him that she won't just let any man into her life is one of the best things she can do for him.

I speak as a child of divorce, and in a sense, I suffered a death. I am still finding shit that I have to process from my childhood, and one thing that doesn't hurt as much as it did when I was younger, was the intense feeling of being alone in this world.

Joy must be suffering terribly the death of her husband, but she is doing right with her son. I know it is difficult for both of them.

You are a good friend, Fishie.

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home