Thursday, May 25, 2006

One down...

Day One. Summer vacation has officially begun for the girls. I'm so happy for them, but I wonder what I'll do to help fill the time. I've never been very good about getting organized and motivated for summer. Summer seems to be a time when all my entertainment abilities shut down and take off for Belize or something.

The Bigun will be off at Army Reserves Boot Camp until after school starts again. She leaves Monday and will return the second week of August. Part of me is saying: "Great! One down! Only one to entertain!" and part of me is in denial the likes of which I haven't seen in ages. BOOT CAMP? Like, for the ARMY? Oh boy.

She's excited about it.When she's back, she'll start her senior year, and then be ready for training when she graduates. You didn't know the Army took Juniors? Hell, I didn't either. Apparently it's true, because she has an all-expense-paid trip (your tax dollars at work!) to South Carolina for basic training. I haven't seen much of her in the last three days, because she's had to spend all her time with her friends. And now she's at my mom's house until tomorrow. When did I get old enough to have a child in BOOT CAMP? When did I get old enough to have a child who DRIVES anyway?

So the plan, and I think it's a good one, is not to think about it at all until I have to.

Moving along, the Little Critter and I are definitely going to spend a lot of the summer at the pool. Dodging skin cancer is so much fun. I know she wants to join the summer reading club at the library (she won an award for being a top-five reader in First Grade this year) and she's suggested the Zoo as well.

I thought we might also do some research projects. We'll put a bunch of names of countries and maybe even states into a hat and draw one when we're bored. Then we'll hit the library and the computer and learn about them. She'll never know what hit her. I'd love to get the 2nd grade general curriculum and start slipping it in during the summer, but I am not that motivated, and not that organized either.

So, we're back to Day One. Of about eighty-two.

5 Comments:

Blogger Robin said...

(making room on the couch of denial)
I have one going into high school. This can't be happening. And now summer is here and they expect me to entertain them? They want to go to Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, the Zoo, the boardwalk, etc, etc. The only thing I plan on doing the next month is pack for moving.
The pool sounds awesome. Ours opens Saturday :)

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, do I know how you feel. On the one hand, my oldest is in California, being a soldier and falling in love with a pretty girl and learning how to drink in moderation and on the other hand, my youngest is potty training and falling in love with a pretty girl (Dora the Explorer) and learning to make his mother sing every song she knows at least 5 times a day.

When did all this happen??

6:09 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I hope Robin has a big couch! Contrary has an even wider spread than I do. My youngest starts K the summer after my oldest graduates.

I love your countries/states in a hat idea! I may borrow that.

12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fish, if you'll let me know when you're going to the zoo, I'll bring my own little critters along and we can make a day of it. Fun for the kids; fun for the mamas!

Can't believe your oldest is heading into her senior year. My oldest is going into 8th grade, and I'm in enough denial about that.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do they grow up so quickly?

Again, I am envious that Fishie and Vichy can so easily get together.

1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home