Friday, March 23, 2007

I am so done - (I'm Every Woman)

Three weeks and it's over. A mere 502 hours left to prepare. I am counting every minute; I can't wait for it to be over. Remind me, never let me plan another event ever. I mean it. I'm putting JJ in charge of birthdays.

(The Bigun has asked for a knife for her 18th birthday.)

Oh, I am so done.

I requested maintenance guys on Thursday to come meet me at 12:30 at the campus mechanical closet, because that was where maintenance put all my carnival booths last fall when the fire marshal kicked the stuff out of the closet we were using. Oh, no, they told the secretary. We can't get there at 12:30. Maybe 1 or 1:30. So I make the change and arrange to meet some people there to unload and test everything. At 1:00.

Maintenance shows up at 12:30. And bitches that I'm not there. And bitches that the stuff isn't supposed to BE in that closet. (Um, did I put it there? No, I did not.) And bitches about having to wait around while we unload. I get hit with this when I walk in the door from the poor secretary they've been harrassing. Apparently she told them to get out there and wait; if they made me wait until 1:00 and then showed up early, that was their fault.

See, here's the deal. When I stepped into carnival last year, it was because nobody wanted it, and the person who could do it was term-limited. But I looked to the future, to the person (if any) who would do carnival after me. That means tidying up everything to do with my stuff. There's always been a collection of booths sitting in a closet because we had room. But since we're an expanding campus, we've lost storage space. Rumor has it that we will lose the workroom we DO have in a year or two. So where are we supposed to store all this bulky, heavy, used once-a-year stuff?

I've been nagging for us to get a storage space. When I got started this year, I spent HOURS cleaning, throwing out, making room, and trying to make space for stuff we need to keep. And when I went to convention I learned other campuses have on-site storage buildings they use. We could do that! Hello! Not a lot of money, convenient, accessible! What's so hard?

Then after the maintenance showdown, the president is saying "I think we need a storage space." And the administration doesn't want to help, because they don't WANT a carnival, they want a Sock Hop. Yeah. So whatever makes it difficult, well, it's good news to them, I guess.

So I got my dander up (wanna see?) and decided to pack everything into my van and take it to my house. THEN maintenance dudes decide to be helpful and load the van. When we get it home, we unpack everything, set it all up, and spend an hour playing carnival games in the front yard. (Did you know I stink at ring toss? I haven't tried bottle toss, but that's next.) So four women unloaded, set up, played everything, took down, stored and fit everything into my garage with ROOM FOR THE VAN LEFT OVER!

Take that, men people. I'm every woman.

1 Comments:

Blogger Pez said...

You rock, MissFish! You rock!

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home