Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Ferry Story, Part II




OK, when last we met, I was telling you I had locked the keys in the car smack in the back center of the ferry from Bolivar to Galveston. I used my spare and we were so relieved that I had the foresight to place that extra key in my back pocket.

OF COURSE I didn't have a spare. This is ME we're talking about.

So we tried to decide what to do, and JJ went to the operators and asked for help. Nope, no can do. Not allowed, they said. Call the towing company, they said. Call a locksmith, they said.

Someone offered us the use of a cell phone. OF COURSE we didn't have cell phones. We were poor. So he tried to make a call to a locksmith company on the island. They apparently couldn't understand him.


"What street are you on, sir?"

"I'm on the ferry."

"Sir, what cross street is that located at?"

"I'm in the middle of the bay!"

"So, sir, is that Ferry and Bay streets?"


So we started looking for another answer. Both of us eyed the block sitting behind the tire to keep the car from rolling in transit. Hey, bust window, get key, problem solved.

But we can't do it.

Someone else offered us the use of a coathanger, but alas, these locks were not made for coathangers to find purchase under.

As we approached the island dock, we were getting a little panicky. They offloaded everyone and JJ ran to see whether there was a pay phone at the ferry station. No sooner had they got the cars off than a full load was driven on, all of them facing my car. As JJ raced back aboard, it seemed we were about to make the journey again, pointed in the wrong direction. And make it we did.

"Hey, why is your car on backwards?" some doofus asked. "I drove it on backwards." I replied. OF COURSE I did.

Back at Bolivar, JJ again looked for a pay phone. I couldn't leave the car, because then it would have been a huge mess. (Come to think of it, I probably could have left it, but it would have been towed to a lot and we'd have spent the night in Galveston trying to get it out.) The boat horn blew the departing signal, and JJ had to race again to get back on.

That was our third trip across the bay.

So after looking at the same scenery a third time, I was getting bored, and went up top to see it from a higher view. Upon landing, JJ dashed off again to the pay phone, and got one working. When he turned around, the boat was gone.

And me and the Mazda with it.



I kinda like these cliffhangers! I'm having fun stringing you all along! But I swear, it won't take all of November to tell.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pez said...

I hope it was not the last ferry run of the day! Looking forward for the next installment!

12:17 AM  
Blogger Kimmer said...

Oh holy hell, what a nightmare!

"The suspense is terrible. I hope it lasts" -Willy Wonka

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I bet now, every time you see a ferry, you flinch.

10:31 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

Oh, my! Are you paying for all these trips?!

12:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home