Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Ferry Story




This is why I married the man I married. We have dined out on this story, and have practically got it honed to a routine. He loves telling it more than I do, the reasons for which will quickly become apparent.

It was summer, and it was hot, and JJ and I were newlyweds, living in Austin. My brother and family had rented a beach cabin near Galveston, and had invited everyone down. At the time, the Bigun (then 7) was living with my folks, and so she was already at the beach when we made the trek. We spent a great day visiting and catching up, and were about to head back. We had come to the Bolivar Peninsula overland, and yet the ferry to Galveston was SO CLOSE, and I really wanted to take the ferry back to Houston, and thus to Austin.

I proposed it to my husband, and JJ said, "Nah, I don't think we ought to."
I proposed it then to my father, and he said "Nah, it's easier and faster if you go back over land. Trust me."

At this point, nearly thwarted before I'd begun, I stomped my foot (literally) and said "I WANNA RIDE THE FERRY!"

As I was pulling on to the beach highway, I begged once more to JJ "Come on! It'll be FUN! It's a boat! You LIKE boats!"

Reluctantly he gave in, under the following condition: "If there's a long line, we're turning around." Sure, fine, whatever; I was RIDING THAT BOAT.

As we approached the ferry line, I noticed it wasn't too long. So we waited while they loaded on all the cars ahead of us, and then closed the gate. This would have made us the first car on the next boat. But then they discovered there was room for just one more, and squeezed us in to the spot at the back of the boat, almost dead center.

No delay after all! A fun trip across the bay! Wheeeee! Wait, what's that? Is that some weird foreshadowing music?

Oh, nevermind!

So we'd collected our things from the Mazda, and it was one of those cars where you had to lift the handle to engage the lock. I lifted the handle, slammed the door and simultaneously blurted out an expletive.

I'd locked the keys in the car. On the ferry. In the last space in the center of the back of the boat. And we were taking off.

I'll add to this tomorrow - it's much more fun to tell serially!




4 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

OH NO! Anybody gotta coat hanger?

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's installment....

5:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GEEZ, Fish! I hate waiting! lol

"Next time, on Aquarium Contrarium..."

6:39 AM  
Blogger Kimmer said...

You're killing me here! This is worse that The Pioneer Woman's "Black Heels to Tractor Wheels."

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, come on! It's tomorrow! (and if you drag this for the entire month of November, I'm gonna kick our butt)

11:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home