Monday, November 05, 2007

The Ferry Story, Part III




Let's see, where was I when I last wrote? Ahhh, yes, I had just pulled away from the Galveston side, headed back to Bolivar on the ferry, sans husband. Sans cell phone. Sans soda.

So, The ferry has left JJ stranded on Galveston, and I'm on my fourth (FOURTH!) trip across the bay. (Did I say I wanted to ride this boat? I hate boats. Boats are stupid. This boat doesn't even GO anywhere. Dumb boat.)

The ferry ride had gotten pretty old by my fourth trip. I climbed up into the air-conditioned passenger cabin and sat on a bench, trying hard not to cry. Out came a tech from the cabin.

"Hey, is that your car?"

"Yeah, it is."

"What happened?"

"I locked the keys in it."

"Woah!"


He left quickly after that.

Pretty soon, other passengers climbed up as well, to get the view from the upper decks. I considered hiding in the bathroom, but if you're smart, you don't even look in the general direction of the bathrooms on a Galveston ferry.

"Did you see that car sitting backwards?" one said.

"I wonder what's wrong?" another said.

I'd had about all I could take, and nearly braved even the bathrooms by that time. But soon they were gone, and I was too chicken to watch the onloading around my car again. I decided a nap would be the best defense, so I closed my eyes and stretched out on the bench. For my fifth trip across the bay. Not that I was keeping count or anything.

After the boat set out for the island again, the captain came out of the bridge and said hello.

"Is that your car?"

"Yes! Yes, that is my car. In which I locked the keys."
"Happens all the time. Don't worry about it."

And for the first time since the saga began, I started to feel better.


He spoke again: "It just usually doesn't happen in the center of the back of my boat."

At which statement I actually did retreat into the bathroom, at least until we were approaching Galveston again. I knew I had to check to see whether my husband had remembered which boat we had been on, and whether he had got any help while I was on my pleasure cruise.

Damn boat.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pez said...

I hope you get off on the next trip!

6:28 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Chili said...

I'm anxiously awaiting the next installment!

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude. Its Wednesday. Get writing on the next installment.

Don't make me come over there.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home